I recently have come across some poorly written books.
(Like two years worth!)
As part of my New Years "Promise," I have told myself that I am reading.
I am going to read books that do not compromise my personal integrity.
Books that entertain and enlighten.
Books that are fun.
Books that spark imagination.
Books that I can see myself in.
I have one personal rule in book reading:
1. If you read the first 50 pages and you are
*bored
*grossly offended
*reading slower than a 3rd grader
*are already flipping to the last 3 pages
Then:
Ditch it.
Easy enough.
At Christmas time Paul and I found ourselves on a "date."We also found ourselves at Wal-mart.
Aimlessly wandering to find gifts for children.
I always stop at the book section, because I can relax there!
I spend WAY too much time at Wal-marts, and the book section "set's me free!"
I knew what my resolution would be....and so I gambled.
I grabbed this book off the shelf without reading the inside, back, or middle!
It looked good!
What's a few bucks for a book anyways.
Shirts and shoes are far pricier.
Especially if you don't like how they fit when you get them home!
Well, I began reading the night of December 23rd.....I COULD NOT put it down!
It's a LOVE!
Here's why:
1. Ranching
2. Horses
3. Spit-fire woman
4.Back talking
5. True---sort of.
6. I could see myself in it.
(Disclaimer to this book: It has some comments about "Mormons" and some interactions with them in the AZ area. While I am LDS, I was not offended by the story and found some good humor in it. )
Now, in the meantime, my Mom had come for a visit and turned me onto this blog:
The Pioneer Woman
(If you know my Mom---she does not blog--not even to check on mine!! Really!)
So I had to check it out!
I love it!
Ree Drummond is living the life that I saw myself in while cutting a rug with those Cowboys at Utah State!
For Christmas my Mother-in-Law gave me this book!
It's all the things "City" girls don't eat....but love to oogle the photos.
(OK---we DO cook it and we secretly LOVE it.)
It's a LOVE.
Did I mention the Pictures?I mean...look at the cover for Goodness Sakes!
Cast Iron Dutch oven--LOVE.
In the color Green--LOVE.
Kids in the Background--LOVE.
Fabulous Kitchen--LOVE.
After all this Dabbling in Cowgirl Style, I even pulled out these babies:
Funny. No laughing.
Insight into me...
The night before my 6th birthday my Mother came into my room and asked me what I wanted for my birthday?
"A horse." I replied.
Silence.
"Honey, where would you put a horse?" Mother retorted.
"In the yard, Mother. I could tie it to the garage!"
"Yes, honey. We'll have to see about that."
When I was 11 a friend and I began taking Equestrian Horse lessons.
We could tack up faster than any other girl at the farm.
We spent the next 3 years jumping fences.
Scooping poop.
Cleaning hooves.
Washing and brushing horses.
Hanging with ranch hands.
It was a good time.
Needless to say, as a young girl, I thought I would marry a cowboy.
Live on a ranch.
Own lots of horses.
Have lots of kids.
So it's been good to spend the last 4 weeks reliving my childhood dreams!
Take a look at these two books!
You might find yourself in them too!
Comments
My goal for this year is to be an active participant in Book Club!
So we are planning to read it.
Glad to hear you loved it.
Happy New Year!!