Year of the Rabbit

Happy Chinese New Year!
The Year of the Rabbit.

Appropriate to our family, because Gabe was born in the year of the Rabbit!
For the last two years, we have tried to have a little celebration.
The Chinese New Year is actually 15 days long, marked by the lunar calendar.
(That's a lot of celebrating!)

With Gabe's immersion program, they are learning so much about culture!
The kids had a New Year party, making so many cute crafts!
They had "Chinese Parade."
Even Tadje came home making some great lanterns!
They also have been learning some songs at school!
Gabe said he would sing it, if he could sing it with the other kids!
(Luckily, I knew where I could find a clip of that.)


For dinner we ate "Almond Chicken."

(I am not sure if this is an authentic "Chinese" recipe.)
My family LOVES it.
I only make it for EXTRA special occasions,  because it is time consuming and caloric.
But VERY VERY delicious.
(I usually make a few extra servings for leftovers the next day......or that extra hungry soul that wants a couple extra servings because it's only made every 2 years!)

Here's what it takes:


1 Chicken Breast per person (or 4 tenderloins)-cut into small bite size pieces.
1/2 c. corn startch
1/2 c. flour
Vegtable Oil (for frying)
1 eggs per person (I used 5 for my family)

*In a gallon plastic bag, mix corn starch and flour.  Then add pieces of chicken.  Shake until all the pieces of chicken are coated completely.   Heat oil on Med/High heat.   While heating oil, beat eggs in a shallow bowl or dish.  When oil is hot, dip each piece of flour covered chicken into egg and fry in the oil. (If done correctly, your fingers will be a mess!)  Cook until crust is golden.  Remove and place on cookie sheet until all chicken is fried.

For the sauce:
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
4 T. ketchup
1 T. soy sauce
1 c. chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix.  Place all the chicken into a 9x13 dish.  Pour sauce over the top.  Place in oven and bake 1 hour.  After removing chicken from oven, add 1/2 c. of slivered almonds.




The girls made lanterns for decoration.

We also like to learn a thing or two about the culture and traditions!
Here are a couple of great books to get us started.



The end of the New Year is celebrated by a Lantern Festival.
(Wish us luck!)









Comments

valerie said…
If you ask Emma-Kate she will insist we have been to china.
I guess we have if you can count Epcot!!!
MooreInterest said…
Well then, I guess we have been to "China" too!!! And, if you take you're entire day to make Almond Chicken, she will think you've been to Heaven and back, as well!
Stacey said…
So cute!! What a fun evening. And the chicken looks scrumptious!