Polynesian Cultural Center

On the drive home, in the tour bus, from Pearl Harbor,
the bus driver was giving advice on good Luau's in the area.
He gave a few insights to local venues and then he said something like,
" Now, over at the Polynesian Cultural Center, guys, this is where lots of tourists like to go.
But for me, I think you should be careful, guys.  Because it is run by Brigham Young Universtiy.
You don't understand, guys, the Mormon's!"
.........


Needless to say, we spent our second day in Hawaii at the Polynesian Cultural Center, guys!
 Because it takes a while to get the "other side" of the island,
we started with their lunch buffet.
Tasting lot of delicious local food.
We LOVED the pineapple.
 It was hot and muggy that afternoon because and rained quite heavily that morning.
The kids just taking a little break and enjoying each others company.
 Then we headed to all the sites of the different Pacific Islands.
First stop:  Tahiti
(The kids loved this coconut bread)
Some day I will make this recipe and relive our trip to Hawaii.
 We tried our hand at fishing.
 Over....
 and OVER....again!
(just about 45 minutes at this little stop!)
 Spear throwing lessons.
That was a favorite of big and small.
(See the coconut on the pole....hit that!)
 Passing a stick game.

 Gotta love those tatoos.
Grandma S.
 Chicka-Chicka Boom boom....
 Will there be enough room?
Climbing to the top of the Coconut Tree!
Ouch.
 My dad served his mission in Rourotonga.
This is an example of a tribal boat.
I couldn't resist snapping a shot.
*As a side note:  I remember , quite vividly, having islanders from Dad's mission come to Salt Lake who were members of "the Mormon" church.
My mother was always generous to host them to dinner and fun family activity.  On one occasion, we had a "princess" come to visit.
My mother made a dinner, and then we spent the night in our basement watching old movies on a reel of Dad's mission."
I think I was 4 or 5 years old*
 Alas, more tatoos!
And here's how we ended our day.
Everyone tattoo'd to the hilt!
Well fed.
Trying out new traditions, foods, dances, and games.

It was my favorite part of Honolulu.
And may I say:  Spending the day with "The Mormon's" wasn't half bad!

Comments