I am hosting an event of personal letter addressed to my son Tadje. In the past week I have learned that he has been bullied by other boys in 2 unrelated settings in our community. After a report from an adult to me and a report from a peer talking to his own mother. In less time than 7 days, my heart is breaking. While I knew how I felt as reports were coming in. I didn't Truly "know" what classified various behaviors as "bullying." Is it "boys being boys," "rough housing" "developmental play" "wrestling?" What made up the definition of "bullying." My next question was. Where does it happen. How do "I" feel about various definitions and actions. Where do 'I" draw the line as a parent and adult. Here is a link that I have referred to over the past week, if you would like some answers. http:// We all work in our various communities in some way. We are all around children. Whether at home, school, church, volunteering, or even work. The MOST IMPORTANT item I realized today is that Tadje is valuable not JUST to myself.... But to SO MANY of YOU! I realized that through these experiences imposed by peers, and in the room with good adults and leaders, he can not see just how valuable and wonderful he is! If he is valuable to you, please write him a note. For the next week, (through March 20) you may drop it at my home, mail it, msg me, email, or send it via hot air balloon. Just tell him what a wonderful young man he is, to YOU! Here are some things that I REALLY LOVE about him. -artist -pianist -scout -a good leader -nurturing -skiing -boating -surfing -wake board -excellent student -math olympiad -science -reading reading reading -hard worker -obedient -faithful -painting -basketball -football -swimmer -biking -loves his dog -loves his family -kind sibling -guitar -runner -strong -courageous -quick thinker -loves his Heavenly Father -prayerful -wise -kayak -canoeing -knack with horses-cowboy -loyal -good dresser -clean mind -humor -patient -legos -building -puzzles -climbing trees -conquering mountains -he is MINE LAST but not LEAST....this is happening to children everywhere. Sometimes, under our own well meaning noses. Promise us. Promise us that if you "think" you see it, if you "think" it's happening.....address it. Address it right then. And then....tell that child, who is on the receiving end, just how VERY IMPORTANT they are to YOU!!!(And, actually, even telling the Bully how IMPORTANT they are in other ways....could be equally as valuable.) God Bless. ***Thank you to our family friends who reminded me tonight of this VERY important fact! We love you.****** This is a "message" from my church regarding this issue. It has been sent to me several times by close friends, the past few days. I love the girl who just "does the right thing." |
Comments